Garlic is an old crop that is cultivated for its bulb, formed in the base of the leaves.
It is highly recommended in cooking for its pungent and characteristic taste, mainly used in cooking. Garlic has some amazing health benefits.
Read also:10 Profitable Farming Ideas In Ghana: 2020/2021 – Check out.
The question which is mostly asked is; can Garlic grow in Ghana?
The answer to this question is YES!
In this article, I will give you the simple step by step in growing garlic in Ghana
HOW GARLIC GROWS IN GHANA – STEP BY STEP GUIDE
Are you ready for this guide on how to grow Garlic in Ghana?
Keep your eyes on and read this simple way on how to grow garlic in your homes. You can also use the process to also multiply garlic for commercial production.
READ ALSO: Cabbage Farming In Ghana – The Sure-way To Start A Profitable Cabbage Farming In Ghana
Materials to grow garlic in Ghana
- A bulb of garlic
- Plastic bottle (medium size)
- Nursery bag (or used water sachet bag)
- Soil medium
Step 1: Sprouting the garlic.
- Cut the top of your medium-sized plastic bottle.
- Fill with water to the brim.
- Sit your bulb of garlic on top, so that the bottom of the bulb touches the water.
- Place in a cool place for about 2 weeks.
Step 2: Transplanting the sprouted garlic.
- Count the number of sprouted cloves and get an equivalent number of bags. Each clove of the garlic will take one bag.
- Cut the bottom or create holes at the bottom of the bag to allow excess water to drain off.
- Fill the bags with hummus. Well-drained and fertile.
- Create holes in the soil in each bag to hold the roots of the sprouted garlic cloves.
- Detach the cloves and place each in one bag. Hold the roots firm with the soil.
- Place them at places where they can get enough sunlight.
- Water when necessary.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE A GARLIC TO GROW IN GHANA?
From the simplified steps above, it is made clear that your garlic will be ready after 6 months from preparation to harvest
Does garlic grow in Ghana?
Many have questions relating to Garlic being grown in Ghana.
The question is, Does Garlic grow in Ghana?
The answer to this question is YES! when the guide is fully followed.
Garlic is Originally believed to have originated in Central Asia, garlic is now a home crop. Garlic is undoubtedly one of the most widely used spices in the Ghanaian diet; However, it is not commonly grown for commercial purposes.
Read also: Onion Farming In Ghana – A Comprehensive Guide On How to Start A Profitable Onion Farm In Ghana
How profitable is it to grow garlic?
Can I Make Money As A Garden Garlic Grower? Yes, because the price of garlic varieties is very high and the yield from intensive planting can generate between $ 8 and $ 10 per square foot of acreage. Plus, value-added garlic products can easily double your profits.
How To Grow Garlic In Plastic Containers
How to cultivate your own garlic in a plastic container is described below:
- A two-liter water bottle should be cleaned before cutting the top off, leaving about two inches of the container intact.
- Plant one clove inside the 2-liter water bottle after half of the bottom has been filled with soil or potting mix.
- To keep the cloves nicely moist, cover with more dirt and water well.
- To keep the water bottle hydrated, keep it somewhere sunny that you can regularly access it.
- A water bottle with garlic in it will appear after two to three weeks.
This is the ultimate guide to grow garlic in Ghana. Your comments are welcome. please don`t forget to share this article
Where can one get hummus?