Factory farming is incredibly cruel to animals that have to survive in confined spaces, suffering, fear, pain and death, and the industry is also incredibly harmful to the environment. The more the public finds out about what is happening in these deplorable places, the more people begin to abandon industrial agriculture.
- Becoming a vegetarian is one way to help the cause by reducing the demand for animal products, but there are many other ways to help end industrial farming besides changing the foods you eat. Your actions can help raise awareness, change hearts and minds, and ultimately disrupt this inherently violent industry. The first step is to find out the truth about industrial farms by researching and watching documentaries. Once you are armed with the facts, you can start taking action to end industrial farming once and for all.
- Buy direct from farms
- … Shop carefully at grocery stores. Choosing certified organic foods is a good way to avoid the worst plant-grown animal products in grocery stores.
But a certified organic product does not guarantee that it is 100% free of synthetic or inorganic ingredients, nor does it guarantee the highest level of animal welfare or the best grazing standards. You have to read the labels.
If you want to know that your food comes from farms that provide the highest levels of animal protection, you should look to organic herbal products.
- Don’t be a voracious animal consumer. Being a healthy omnivore means eating more vegetables, fruits, grains, beans and nuts and looking for superfoods. Animal products produced in sustainable, high-wealth systems may be harmless, but treat them like a luxury purchase.
Sign a petition
Never underestimate the strength of people. There are many well organized, motivated and passionate groups trying to end industrial agriculture. By taking action and signing the appropriate petitions, we can come together and show legislators, government departments, and businesses that millions of people are against it. Petitions are extremely effective tools for change, so be sure to participate. Check out these recent petitions you can support to help farm animals:
- Fight against industrial agriculture
- Order the IFC to halt industrial livestock production
- Ban industrial agriculture in the United States.
- No more rescue operations for factory farms
- Support for animal sanctuaries.
Farm animal shelters are among the leading organizations in the fight against industrial agriculture, providing care and rehabilitation for animals directly affected by the industry, as well as creating educational resources and a learning environment. By supporting farm animal shelters financially, joining them on social media, or supporting their campaigns, you can help spread the word and spark a revolution.
- Campaign for local change
From animal rights and welfare groups to local business organizations and political rallies, you can support local campaigns that are trying to make direct change in your area. By supporting local farmers markets, stores, and businesses that also share your views, you can help inspire others to boycott factory-grown produce. Brochures, awareness days, question and answer sessions, and other activities can be very effective in alerting people to the cause.
- Educate your peers.
Many people are still not sufficiently aware of the problems associated with industrial agriculture, since this is a problem that is hidden from everyone’s attention. You can be a catalyst for change among your friends, family, and colleagues by helping them teach. This does not mean lecturing them about the bad people who buy meat from factory farms, but rather tactfully raising issues so that they can touch them.
Industrial agriculture will not disappear overnight, but with more and more people together, we can make real change and end the suffering of industrial farm animals sooner than you think.